2007-06-06

So there I was, minding my own business...

So there I was, minding my own business...

I was just walking to work this morning, just like any other day.

When, all of the sudden, a spooked out horse pulling a flatbed cart full of watermelons crosses four lanes of traffic, right at the intersection, during morning rush hour, and decides to head right to the corner that I, and 50 other people, are standing at.

Everyone did a little shimmy to the right or left, and the horse and cart passed by without hitting anyone. It went by me with 2 feet to spare.

I caught a look at the horse's eyes as it came towards me. It was definitely spooked about something. You could see it in it's eyes. Was freaky.

---

That's one thing about living in Beijing... People appear clueless to everyone else around them.

People will step in front of you, stop in front of you, spit in in front of your next step, and generally ignore your presence. People ignore traffic laws and other things which I would call "common courtesy".

But, when push comes to shove, people seem to have a "sense". Cars don't hit people, people snake their way around cars, the lines at stores seem to keep moving, and people don't step in the spit.

Like I said a long time ago, when I DID get hit by a truck... it's like a dance.

The horse forgot his steps, but everyone else covered for it. We all shimmied, and went on our way.

As if it were all supposed to happen exactly the way it did.

No comments: