2006-04-28

Magores has a Chinese name

I mentioned before that I wanted to figure out a Chinese name for myself.

I think I finally settled on something.

The idea that I had previously turned out not to be a good one.

I was thinking "Shu Mai Kou". My thought process was..
--Mai Kou is basically how the kids pronounce my name
--Mai Kou, according to one of my dictionaries, means "Wheat Harvest"
--Shu is half of "fathers younger brother" which is also a polite way of saying "Uncle". Men of an older generation are commonly called "Uncle" in China. It's a respect thing.

So... I was thinking Shu Mai Kou = Uncle Wheat Harvest = A decent name.

Apparently not.
-ShuShu is Uncle. Shu is not.
-"Shu" as a sound has the connotation of "loser". Ummm.. Nope. Not gonna use that.
-On top of that, ShuShu is a title, not a name. (China has about 3000 possible last names. Deviation in names is okay, but its not always "understood" as a name. It's recognized as a description.

So... I went back to the drawing board.

Basically, I went with this thought process...
-Not all chinese names are 3 characters (Ling Pu Yong, Dong Phu Yu, etc.) Many people only have two character names. 4 is less common, but not unheard of.
-The third character is what was causing me the most trouble, so if I forget about that, that leaves me with two.
-Two is easy.
-What do the kids say? "Mai Kou" (more or less)
-How is Michael Jordan transliterated? "Mai Ke"
-Basically, I figured... Why fight the obvious?

So...

"Mai Ke" it is.

In case you're curious, here's what it looks like...




And, Yes... I verified the appropriateness of the sounds, and the characters with the locals. It passes the test.

So, I now have something to write down in all the little boxes on all the forms that ask for my Chinese name.

Kind of an anti-climax to tell you the truth.

No comments: