2007-05-24

#4 - What I did in China with no internet for 6 months

Studied Linguistics, as well as Methods and Approaches to Teaching Foreign Languages,and English Grammar.


Pretty geeky, huh?

There is a WIDE variety of material on these topics available at any of the larger bookstores in Beijing. And the books are cheap, even by Chinese standards.

For example, an English Language version of any Harry Potter, in paperback, will cost you 160RMB or more. But, I picked up "Techniques and Resources in Teaching Reading" for 9RMB. "Techniques and Resources in Teaching Writing" was 10RMB. "English Phonetics and Phonology: A Practical Course" was 25RMB.

I'm at the point where I could, if required, talk reasonably sensibly about:
-the Audio-Lingual Method
-the Silent Way
-TPR (I've know about this one for quite awhile actually.)
-The Direct Method
-Neuro-Linguistic Programming
-and others

I just did a Google search for something on this topic. Here's a link that appears, at first glance, to give and overview of some of these topics. I haven't looked at it closely, but for an overview, it seems okay.

Damn. I scare myself sometimes.

No comments: