2007-05-23

#2 - So... What else have I been doing without internet access?

So, I didn't have internet for 6 months. What did I do with my time?

2) Became a vegetarian.

When I was back in the States last year, I (half-)jokingly mentioned that I was thinking of becoming a Muslim, just so I wouldn't have to eat pork anymore.

Well, I'm not a Muslim. But, I don't eat pork anymore. Or beef, or lamb, or anything else that walks on four legs.

Starting February 18, 2007 no more meat.


It was sorta hard to explain to the cook at work why I did this. I can't just tell her that its because I'm sick and tired of the way she cooks meat. I especially dislike the way she makes pork. Boiled pork is not good food.

If China had ham and pork chops then I might still be eating it. But, they don't, so I don't.

China has a serious tendency to chop meat into small pieces. Whereas, in the US, we tend to like our meat in big slabs. Give me fried slabs of meat, not boiled pieces, and I might go back to my flesh eating ways.

I decided to cut out the other four legged animals while I was at it. Might as well.

Of course, China doesn't do chicken quite the way I like either. Basically, in China, people take a whole chicken, and then swing a cleaver at it until its in small pieces. Tiny pieces of meat, tiny pieces of bone, it's all good. Ummm... No. It isn't. I don't mind chicken bones, as long as I can see them before I bite into them.

The cooking in Chinese restaurants in the US, and the cooking in Chinese restaurants in China, is NOT the same.

Maybe I'm just a little homesick for plain old Western food. Steaks on a BBQ, fried chicken, Sourdough Ranch burgers from Jack in the Box, nachos, chicken chimichangas, five rolled tacos with gauc and sour cream, tuna casserole, a donut, a Spicy Dog from 7-11...

Sigh... That's good food.

No comments: