2007-10-18

I was in the US... And now I'm not.

Hi all.

Been a little while since the last post, and I promised people I would post, so here we go...

As many of you know, I was in the US for a couple weeks. No wine or women, but there was song. And family, and friends, and good food, and clean air... Good times.

---------------

For someone like me, who is basically a Left Coast Kid, the mention of Arkansas brings to mind images of bad teeth, Monster Truck Rallies, NASCAR, moonshine, road kill stew, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it isn't really like that. (At least, not in the parts I saw.)

Lots of trees, lots of animals (road kill and otherwise), and not many people. 2000 census shows 2,673,400 people in the entire state. For comparisons sake... the city I live in right now has more than 13,000,000 people. It was very nice to not see 5000 people as soon as I walked out the door.

And, I saw the Milky Way. I've seen it before, but it's a been a loooooong time.

Had frog legs for the first time ever. Pretty good actually. And fried kale. I liked it. I hear that boiled kale isn't quite as good though.

Went fishing for the first time in years. Huge lake. I saw a grand total of 4 people the whole time. And two of them were me and my Dad. Didn't catch anything, but no problem. Just gives me an excuse to go back.

And, I got to see my parents. Best part, needless to say.

---------------

Did SF too.

Didn't get to see everyone I would have liked to have seen. But, considering that almost no one knew I was coming, I actually saw quite a few people. (Hello to everyone that I did and/or didn't see.)

I timed it good too. If you have a chance, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival is a great excuse to visit SF.

One thing very nice about SF that can be easy to forget... I had Indian food, Thai food, Italian food, Mexican food, and, yes, even Chinese food. I miss the variety of food available in the US.

---------------

I got to see LA too. Well, the part of it near the airport, at least.

And my sis and nephew. Good times.

Note to Sis: Let him come for a visit next summer if he wants to. It would be a great learning experience. Stories to tell his friends, kids, grandkids, etc.

Note to Nephew: Stop growing. You get any taller, and I won't be able to find things to fit you.

---------------

Anyway.... There's a brief summary of my trip to the US.

Next time, I'll tell you what's been happening since I got back. For example...
-TSA opening my luggage at the airport
-New house
-The double date
-IDF babe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"shows 2,673,400 people in the entire state"

Shoot, there's only 850 people in the entire zip code and although the nominal population density is 39 per square mile, the immediate square mile of the house is normally 7...8 when you were here...we went to dinner with more than half the population.

Wouldn't trade it.

Dad