2005-12-26

Magores says "Sheng Dan Kuai Lua"

Magores Says "Sheng Dan Kuai La"

At the time I am writing this, it is December 24th in Beijing. That's right. Christmas Eve.

By the time I post this, it won't be Christmas in Beijing, but it should be Christmas Day in the US. I don't expect anyone to see this on Xmas Day, but for once I thought I would be sort of on time. And, now is a good time as any, so...

I thought that right now would be a good moment to say a few things. In no particular order...

-My Parents Rock
-Happy Birthday Neal
-Happy Birthday Z
-Merry Christmas to Everyone

--------

So... You might be wondering what Christmas is like in China. Well, let me tell you.

From what I gather, Christmas has become a big deal here. Not as big as in the US, of course, but still pretty big. Of course, China does it a bit different than the US does.

One difference is that Christmas seems to be an "urban" celebration, more than a "national" one. And, it seems to be more popular with young people than older ones. By young, I mean teenagers and 20+ year olds. Basically, its an excuse to party. Of course, the little ones really like Xmas. Free Goodies!

No matter how old you are, you can't avoid Christmas in China. Stores like it, encourage it, and promote it. Santa Claus, Xmas trees, and all that are plastered throughout the city. Not as crazy as in the US, of course. I suspect the government likes it. Xmas promotes spending. Spending is good.

One big difference in the whole Xmas deal is that Xmas Eve is a much bigger deal here than Christmas Day itself. I suspect this is because Xmas Eve is at night, while Xmas Day is during the day. People can "do stuff" at night. During the day, they work. Therefore, celebrate at night. This is just my observation. I haven't asked any locals what the truth might be.

-------
So what did I do on Christmas Eve?

Well...
-I went to work at 9am. Worked on lesson plans.
-Gobbled down a late lunch right before class started.
-Taught English to three 13 year olds
-Short Break
-Taught English to seven 5 year olds.
-Practiced with the 5 year olds for the Xmas pageant to be held on Xmas Day.
-NO BREAK! :(
-Played with a 4 year old, and tried to teach him something.
-Left work at 6pm
-Bought an iron, 2 beers, and a DVD.
-Learned a couple of written Chinese words from the elevator lady.
-Watched fireworks from my window.
-Listened to a couple live bootlegs that I brought with me from the US - Elvis (1970) and Iron Maiden (1976) - While I ironed a shirt.
-Went and bought a couple shish-kabob things. Said "Merry Xmas" to the shish-kabob guy, and the magazine guy.
-Typed this.

Darn exciting, huh?
--------

One really cool thing did happen today. The 13 year olds gave me an Xmas Card. It might have been "canned language", but I don't care. It was still really cool.

--------

My plans for Christmas Day?

-Work at 9am
-Prepare for the pageant/presentation. Lynn and I are the co-hosts/emcees/masters of cermonies. (I'm the Foreign Guy. I get to be a "public face". Insert Sarcasm here: You know how much I LOVE being the center of attention :End Sarcasm)
-Do the pageant. (Among other things, I get to lead ALL the teachers, from a few different schools, most of whom I have never met, in singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas".)
-Leave the pageant
-Sleep

---------
So, there we go. That's my Christmas in Beijing.

Oh, and by the way... "Sheng Dan Kuai Lua"? It means, "Merry Christmas"


Sheng Dan Kuai Lua!!!!!!!

No comments: