2006-01-29

Lunar New Year - Part 3 - The Morning After

About 2am or so, (wild guess), I went back up to my apartment and sat against the door. For the next 5 hours, I sat against the door, looked out the window, circled the block. Repeat.

Finally, my body clock told me it was around 7am. MacDonalds time.

7:10am: I got eggs, sausage, english muffin, coffee (18.50RMB). Free refill on the coffee.
7:50am: Went in search of the landlords office. I was there once before over two months ago.
9:00am: Never did find the office. But, I did find the elevator lady. Begged her help. She walked a block with me trying to find a public phone. Ended up borrowing some guys cel phone. Landlord will meet me at my place.
9:01am: Landlord calls my boss
9:20am: Landlord opens the door.
9:21am: I show landlord that I DO have my keys, they were just inside the house.
9:22am: The sister of one of my bosses calls my cel. I ignore. Restroom.
9:23am: The sister calls from the phone of the boss that I am not hitting on. I answer. "Yes. I'm fine. Don't worry. Yes, I have my keys. Yes, I know. No, I didn't. I would have. I didn't know. I'll write it down and save it for next time. I'm going to sleep."
9:47am: The boss I'm not hitting on: "You owe us all a New Years Present for making us worry." Me: "Okay. You name it. I'm fine. Don't worry. Yes I have my keys. Yes, I know. No, I didn't. I would have. I didn't know. I'll write it down and save it for next time. In case you forgot, I handled this pretty well I think. 3 hotels. Walked. Fireworks. Walked. Good times. Not bleeding, not arrested, not sick. Yes, Ma'am. It's all good. Fun, actually."

---

And that brings us current.

---

I'm in my house. I have my keys. Happy as a clam. Still haven't slept though.

---
I wonder sometimes...
-A blind leap to San Diego, leads to my longest, closest friends ever.
-A blind leap to San Francisco brings me closer to family than ever.
-A blind leap to China finds me loving life again, not just living life.
-Getting lost at that first Show, and getting lost ever since. (Neal will know what I mean.)
-Forgetting my keys, and being "amazed" for the first time in years.

Am I doing it right? Or, doing it wrong and getting lucky?

It doesn't really matter, I guess. "Right" 51% of the time, or "Wrong but Lucky" 51% of the time. It all works out.

As long as I'm on the postive side of 50, I have no complaints.
---

The only bad thing about my Lunar New Year Experience (cue Jimi Hendrix)... I had planned on verifying how to say "Happy Spring Festival" in Chinese. I can say it, not sure I can type it though. I was going to do that yesterday, so that I could be on time for once. Circumstances got in the way though. So, I'll say it the way I know how...

---

Happy New Year!
Happy Spring Festival!
Happy Year of the Dog!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Happy New Year over there, Mike! woo hoo!

Rona

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that the boss youre not hitting on is taking over for me in the worry department.

Sent a Happy New Year card, dog.

It's it great to love the life your living

Magores said...

Rona... For Shame!!!!

In Cantonese, its "Gong hai fa choi".

Here in Beijing, they asked me to repeat it about 5 times becuase its so different from "Standard" Chinese.

The "official" chinese is: "Gong xi fa cai!"

But... thats not quite true either.

"Gong hai fa choi" in Cantonese, and the equivalent pronunciation in Mandarin means "I wish you lots of money this year." or something like that.

In Beijing, at least, the more common greeting is: "Choon je kwai le"

-This means. Happy Spring Festival

(The way I wrote it is very bad. Very unofficial. But, its also reasonably close to a correct pronunciation.)


Even more common than "Chun jie kuai le" is "Jin Nian Kuai Le". This is literally "Happy New Year."

MomGurk....

As I told the boss I'm not hitting on.... Don't worry. It's all good!

It really is good here. Probably the safest city with 14 million people that you will ever visit. :)

And, Yes... When you can say "Life is good" and really mean it, then life really is good.


-----

Gotta go. I bought a string of 2000 firecrackers. Gotta light them. Its a good luck thing.