2006-01-05

Magores wasn't censored.... Or, was he????

I actually started this post about 2 weeks ago. Then, mysteriously, my internet access didn't work. It took over a week to get everything sorted out. Officially, things weren't working because I rebooted without actually disconnecting from my ISP first. Sounds reasonable. But, if you know the backstory, it seems kinda weird.

Here's the backstory...

One night, I was fiddling on the internet. For whatever reason, that night I was interested in "this country's" internet policy. Related to this topic was recent stories related to a blogger that writes stuff in "this country's language" about "this country's politics."

There were things that I was blocked from seeing. But, there are ways around that. So, I read what I wanted to.

I decided to write something here. It started like this...

---

New Stuff, Old Stuff, and Random Thoughts


New Stuff --

When it comes to the news, the internet, magazines, etc., it's pretty well acknowledged that "this country" censors what people inside the country can see.

(I'm going to try use "this country" whenever I remember to. It's pretty obvious what country I am referring to, but if a small euphamism helps things, then so be it.)

In fact, there is a term for this fact. You've heard of The Great Wall of [This Country]? Well, [this country] has a thing commonly known as The Great (fire)Wall of [this country].

This firewall keeps out things that the country doesn't want people to see.

You know... For me, at least, it's not as bad as it sounds.

----

That's as far as I got in writing that night. I was tired. I saved what I had written, and figured I would get back to it the next day.

The next day, I couldn't log on to the internet at all.

As I said, it took over a week to get everything worked out.

-

Now, I'm not paranoid enough to think that ANY country cares what I say. One or two people, maybe. But, an entire country? Nah. Especially, when what I was attempting to say was overall not too critical of the policy in question.

But... In the back of my mind, I kept thinking about a few things... (This country) literally has 40,000 people that do nothing but watch what everyone else is doing on the internet. Did I view something I wasn't suppossed to see? Yep. Did I actively work around the controls in place in order to view those things? Yep. Am I up shit creek? Quite possibly.

Like I said above, the reason provided to me seems reasonable, and being the trusting soul that I am, I'm going with it.

But...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better behave yourself.

Magores said...

Have no fear.

I like politics and news, but not THAT much. I can see 99% of what I want to see without resorting to computer trickery.

Ironically, though... Seeing these comments, and responding to them requires a little "interesting maneuvers".