2006-05-24

Magores has NO roommates

Big news, I guess.

Roommates moved out.

Essentially here's the deal:

--Bosses decided they like me. And, want me to stick around. So, they want me to be happy.
--They think/thought that because I never watch TV, that means I'm not happy. I tried explaining that I never watched TV in the US either. Didn't believe me. (Of course, I might have watched more TV here if it wasn't always being used by the 3 girls to watch soap operas that I don't understand.
--The lease on the apartment goes until November. I'm here until November. (And then extend that if we all agree.) Business is expanding. We've hired new teachers. The way it works in China, at least where I work, is that the company pays for your place to live. So... New teachers means new place they had to rent for a year. Can't move me to the new place, since it's still not guaranteed that I will be here past November. Best thing was to move my 3 girl roommates in with the new teacher. Come November, if I decide to stick around, they will "find a nicer place" for me.


(Aha!! Are we negotiating now? One bedroom, lvng room, kitchen, bath, TV, HOT water, all electrical outlets must work. No roommates. Preferably N of where I am now. NW would be great. Certain places E are okay. Not S though. I MUST have the day of the Superbowl off from work. And, I must have regular Chinese lessons. At least one day a week for 2 hours. (Reading, writing, speaking, homework, tests, field trips - the whole deal. And, I want "right of refusal" on any place they might be considering.)


The upshot is: For the moment, I have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, apartment all to myself.

If you ever planned on visiting Beijing before the Olympics, now is a good time to start planning. From what I hear, Aumtumn is the best time of year. Not too hot, not too windy. (Right now is very hot. 80+ degrees with hellacious winds at times.)

Visit before November. You've got a free place to stay, and a guide (Me).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news on the temporary absense of rummies...ohh why does that crazy lady and the police visit come to mind. OUCH!

So glad to hear you love it there. I had a suspicion you would. Hey when you are back in November you know you have a place to stay in Florida if you want to hang out for some RnR. Don't worry though I know you have lots to do/see and catch up on the states. Won't be offended if you can't make it but would love to have ya!