2006-05-04

Magores teaches YOU Chinese

Here's another relatively short post...

---

Wanna learn Chinese? Okay.. Here's a little bit for you...

I am hot.
I am cold.
I am tired.


First... "I"
-Official numerical pinyin is "Wo3".
-My unoffical pronunication guide is "Whu-uh". Say it fast... No pause where the dash is.

Next ... "am"
--Don't say anything.
--Chinese doesn't use any form of "be" in this situation.
--"Be" = Is, Am, Are, etc

The adjective...

Hot
--Official numerical pinyin is "re4"
--This is actually hard to say, in my opinion.
--Try saying "run" without the "n" sound. Now, try to say it as if you are angry. Now, convert the "r" sound into a sound that English doesn't have. It's sorta like the "sure" in "leisure", but not really.

Cold
--Offical numerical pinyin is "leng3"
--Cold is much easier than hot
--try this: luh-ung. Say it without a pause where the dash is. luhung

Tired
--Offical numerical pinyin is "lei4"
--This is the easiest of the three I give here.
--Say: "Lay". Now, say it as if you are positive about it. Not, "Lay?" Say, "Lay!"

So...

What we have is this:

I am hot = whu-uh ruh!
I am cold = whu-uh luhung
I am tired = whu-uh lay!

---

There you go. A little Chinese that you can use in everyday situations.

No comments: