2006-10-15

Magores has more pictures: Great Wall, Tiananmen Square

Boy... You people are a tough crowd!

I post some cool pictures of Mongolia, and I only get one comment.

(It was nice to get the request for pictures of me.)

Couple things regarding pictures...
1) I generally won't post pictures of identifiable people. It's not cool to post pictures of people onto the intratubes without their permission.
2) I don't have my own permission to post pictures of myself on the intratubes.

It may be a tinfoil hat thing, but, oh well.

For anyone that really cares, I can email a few.

Anyway... Regarding pictures....

I was digging around on my hard drive, and I discovered I didn't lose quite as many photos as I thought when my other camera got stolen. So...

Here are some pictures from The Great Wall of China, and Tiananmen later that day

__________________________________________

1) These aren't as big as more my recent photos
2) I think my newer pictures are better "photographs", but this is what I have from then
3) Click on photo to see a bigger version
4) Description is ABOVE the photo


__________________________________________

The bus ride up to the Great Wall at Badaling.
The Badaling stretch of the Great Wall is the standard tourist part of the Wall. There are other sections that you can go to that aren't as "rebuilt". I want to go to those sections next.



Kind of eerie photo along the way to the Wall.



This is a long distance view of the Wall. You can sort of see it going from left to right, just above the center of the picture.

There IS walking involved, of course.
Bus lets you out, and you walk the rest of the way. You can see on of the guard towers in the distance.


Lots of walking involved with the Great Wall. It's long. It's steep. It's crowded.
Try to follow the path of the Wall out in the distance. The thing is LONG.


What can you expect to see on the Great Wall of China? Ummm. Camels.


Kind of a cool photo looking out one of the guard tower windows.

A random view from atop the Great Wall of China.


We actually did a lot more than just go to the Great Wall that day. We also went to Tiananmen Square and flew....
I'm telling you... There was something mildly surreal about sitting in Tiananmen Square and flying kites. I don't know why it seemed weird. Lots of people were doing it. But this was all new to me. Keep in mind, that this was back when I had only been in China for a very short time while. Now? I wouldn't even think twice about doing it.



No. These guys aren't praising my kite-handling skills.
This is the Monument to the People. Or something like that.




After awhile, it got dark in Tiananmen. We had to move our spot because we were getting attacked by mosquitos. We moved to a place where we could lay out blankets and bags and have a picnic. Picnic in the dark in Tiananmen? Like I said... Surreal.
(Still not something I would do if I wasn't with natives.)


THis is a photo of the building across the street from where we sat.

This is some of the government buildings actually in/surrounding the Square.

Another perspective of the above scene.

My roommates (at the time), singing and dancing in Tiananmen, in the dark, with about 10 random passersby staring, and applauding, and an army guy stationed about 100 feet away, while we sat on the ground and ate the Chinese version of prepackaged snacks.

Did I mention surreal?



So, there you go... Pictures from China.

I still owe you all more from Mongolia, and I do have all of those here at the house now, so I'll do that soon. Also, some of the others I found on my harddrive are from my visit to the Forbidden Palace. I'll try to get some of those up soon as well.

Like em? Don't like em?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your photos. Never realized how hilly china is and very colorful. The cities in the US are drab. Can't wait for more photos

Magores said...

Ask and ye shall receive.. Did more about 2 minutes ago ;)

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures. Jack and Dale Ele 1/24/07