2006-10-17

Magores has tips for visitors to Beijing: Nightlife

There is a site that I regularly visit.

People discuss stuff on that site. The topic of China came up. (Specifically in regards to NK, and what the immediate future might hold.)

One thing led to another, and another person mentioned that they would be visiting Beijing soon. They asked if I had any tips.

Well, yes I do.

I've covered some of these things in previous posts, but since the picture post thing isn't working, I figure this is a good time to recap, and expand....

Lets talk about nightlife...

-----
Nightlife...

The Goose 'n Duck
-Why: Good drinking establishment. Mainly expats, not tourists. Sports on TV, open 24 hours, has pool, darts, good food, and relatively inexpensive drinks. Not a dancing type of club. More like a sports bar.
-Where: Chaoyang Park West Gate

Sanlitun "beer street"
-Why: Lots of tourists go here, near the embassies, lots of bars here
-Where: Sanlitun. Taxi guys will expect to take you here, so it doesn't matter how bad you say it in Chinese... Theyll know.

Haidan
-Why: If you are college-aged, or college-state-of-minded, go to this area. Tons of Universities/Colleges/Institutes around here. Find a friendly-looking westerner, and ask them where to go to dance, rave, party, whatever.
-Where: Well... Haidan is in the NW area of urban Beijing, but other than that, I can't really help. I'm not college aged. And, the things in that area that I DO want to check out, always seem to happen on nights before I have to work. (I work weekends.) If it were me, I'd ask for Nameless Highlands. Rock/Punk club.

The Den
-Why: Sports and beer and very cute bar wenches. TVs show pretty much any sport that involves a ball. ie. Cricket, Soccer, Baseball, Football, Tennis, etc. Far more Euro ball sports than US ball sports.
-Where: Kind of hidden, but worth a look. Head S on Sanlitun, take a right. On your left is some big hotel or another. It's tucked in there.

CD Jazz Cafe
-Why: Jazz.
-Where: Along 3rd Ring Road. A little N of Chaoyang area.
-Disclaimer: I tried to go there once. Was closed for renovation. Rode by there yesterday on my bike. It's open again. From everything I've read, its suppossed to be a good place.

---
There are TONS of more places that you can go for nightlife. But, what I like, and what you like, might be different. These are just a few things that I happen to like/know of.

If you are early 20's, and if you don't have any guide other than me, then I really suggest heading to Haidan and asking around. I'm not in that age group, and I don't dig the "rave" type thing, so I can't really help for that.

No matter what... If you are in, or will be in, Beijing, give me a holler. Let's grab a beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that u r very familiar with Beijing city.enjoy your life in China.

Magores said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts Simon.

Actually, I wouldn't really consider myself that familiar with Beijing.

I know a couple places, and I know of a few others.

Thats about it.


There are two main reasons I know anything at all about this city.

1) I like live music. So, one of the first things I did when I came here was to try and find some. Still haven't found the "good place" yet.

2) I ride my bicycle alot. When you're riding, you see more than if you are driving, you pay more attention than if you are on a bus, and you cover more ground than if you are walking.

That's about it really.

Lots of people with less time here than me know more about what's going on, and can speak the language much better than I can.

I just do the best I can.

Like the title of the blog says...

"Stumbling Around in China"